Looking for a general contractor on Maui?
Finding and hiring a good contractor can truly make the difference between a quality job done right and a superficial project. Therefore, before hiring a professional to help improve your home, it’s important that you take the time to find someone reliable.
For most homeowners, looking for a general contractor in Maui may not be an easy task. With so many professionals offering their services on the island, sometimes it can be difficult to hire someone competent for the job.
At Island Independence, we understand the struggle of looking for a general contractor in Maui. With that said, here’s a short checklist you can consult the next time you need someone to install your cabinets, knock down a wall or renovate the kitchen or your bathroom.
1. When looking for a general contractor in Maui, make sure you can describe your project
Before starting your search for a reliable general contractor on the island, make sure you know exactly what you want and know how to describe the plan to your ‘candidates’ in detail.
2. Ask your family and friends if they can recommend a reliable professional
The best way to find a trustworthy contractor is to ask your loved ones for recommendations. If someone you know has recently renovated their home, ask them who they’ve worked with on their project.
3. Talk to at least a couple contractors in Maui before hiring someone right off the bat
Talking to at least 2 or even a few more contractors can give you a better idea about who you should hire. Avoid hiring the first contractor you find and compare a few offers before making a decision.
4. While you interview contractors, ask about their license
Never hire anyone who doesn’t have a license! Your general contractor should be licensed, so make sure you check if the person you’re about to hire has the proper documentation.
5. Make sure you choose the right professional who can take care of your project
The right professional should have experience, but they should also be able to start a finish your specific home renovation project without a hitch.
6. Always ask to sign a detailed contract before someone starts working on your project
Before signing a contract with your general contractor, make sure it details everything that will be done, including payments, deadlines and the type of materials that will be used.
7. Never hire a contractor in Maui who is not willing to obtain the necessary permits
Some contractors may try to ‘land’ the job by telling you they can do the job for a lower cost, but without a permit. Be wary of “professionals” who offer to deliver any unpermitted work!
8.Check to see if your general contractor from Maui has insurance
Safety should always be a priority so, before signing any contract, always ask your contractor about insurance. Find out what’s covered by your contractor’s policy and learn what should be covered by the homeowner.
9. When looking for a general contractor in Maui, make sure communication is not an issue
Whether you plan on starting a big or small project, it’s crucial that you and your contractor are able to communicate with ease. Renovation can be stressful, so make sure communication won’t be an issue.